Sunday, October 1, 2006

Life Chain

I participated in my first "Life Chain" today. Life Chain is an organized effort to express pro-life choices, without political or aggressive measures. It is simply holding a sign (all the signs were the same for uniformity and clarity) that said "Abortion Kills Children." Life Chain is held the 1st of October each year, from 2pm to 3pm. For this one hour, people stand quietly and meditatively in a chain on a major road displaying these signs.

On the back of the signs, are words of songs, for the sign bearer to quietly hum to themselves, including "Jesus Loves the Little Children." There are also instructions, guidelines, and ideas for meditation and prayer. The first suggestion for prayer, is not for those who have had/are having or may have an abortion. The first suggestion for prayer is for yourself, a prayer for repentance. Personal repentance for possibly not taking a stand sooner against abortion and for missing an opportunity to aid an abortion victim.

Needless to say, I thought of the many times I've been judgmental, and not compassionate. I've thought of the many times I've banked on pharisaical pride, instead of the hands and feet that reach out with the love of Jesus. There was indeed much soul searching as I stood out there for one hour in 88 degrees and bright sunshine, not exactly the usual for the 1st of October.

My children were with me. I had brought chairs for them and saw to their comfort and needs during the one hour. Several people commented on how amazed they were that children could be so calm for an hour. I was praising the Lord for His blessings! It was nice to see that on the guidelines for participants, it said, assist mothers with young children. I was grateful for that assistance when it was time to load up and exit the area by the highway.

It was nice to see the 70 people from our tiny county come out and support the life chain. However, I did begin to wonder, what if the signs read: Gossip kills relationships. Adultery kills marriages. Not listening kills parent/child relationships. No Bible study and prayer kills spirituality. Let's just say that I had a lot to think about out there today, and much to pray for.

8 comments:

bruced said...

"No Bible study and prayer kills spirituality."

Huh?

Roseuvsharon said...

Sorry I didn't put that in a way to make it better understood.

Saying you are a christian, but not spending time with the one you claim to belong to (in Bible study and prayer) is a net zero effect for spirituality.

There is a children's song that says it quite well. "Read your Bible pray every day and you'll grow grow grow. Neglect your Bible forget to pray and you'll shrink shrink shrink."

bruced said...

I think I know what you mean, but I also think that if we truly know who Jesus is, and what He means to us as a revelation of the Father's love... nothing can come between us and Him. Nothing. Not even a lack of bible reading or prayer. I think the problem is often that we really don't understand what the Cross is all about, and so we think it's OUR job to come to the Father (through our works). When it is actually HIM who came to us. Not by our choice, but by His.

bruced said...

Oh... thanks for visiting my blog! I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Unknown said...

I have seen a life chain and it is really neat. God has great ways of showing us things we wouldn't have really thought about before like the adultery kills marriage, not listening kills parent/child relatioinship, gossip kills relationships, no Bible study and prayer kills spirituality. He uses every day life situations to impress upon us awesome thoughts!
You know personally, I have found that in my own life that no bible study and prayer kills spirituality. Or maybe for me not outright killing it but slowing putting it to "sleep".
Its is very subtle and you don't even know what is going on but it happens.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Rose. I think it helps the pro-life movement a lot to have signs along the road that advertise to young women ways that are alternative to having an abortion just when they might be pregnant. I admire women for being on hotlines ready to counsel women in this way.

Roseuvsharon said...

You know, it was really interesting to have people honking in agreement as they went by. One woman even rolled down her window and sang the praises of freedom of speech to do what we were doing.

I especially liked the bikers. Because there weren't so many "barriers" of metal like in most cars and trucks, we could see their emotions easier. Their encouragement as we stood there for an hour was real motivation to keep it up!

I wonder how encouraging we would be if we didn't have so many barriers to our emotions?

Trailady said...

Cool! I like the fact that it was a non-violent, non-aggressive approach.
I actually used to participate in some heavy-duty protests against abortion, but I have since mellowed.
The signs get the message across without being obnoxious for a good cause. Glad you could be a part of it.