Friday, October 13, 2006

Boyhood and Beyond

I really love this book, "Boyhood and Beyond," by Bob Schultz. I saw it in the new arrivals section of our local library, and took it for a test drive. I loved it so much, just reading the first few chapters, that I decided it would be part of Michael's home school curriculum this year.

Even better than the fact that I love this book, is the fact that Michael also loves this book. It was such an awesome moment when we finished this great chapter about perseverance and not giving up, and then at the end is this awesome text, Micah 7:8. Michael nearly came out of his seat, like the way you do when you hear the most beautiful music or see the lovliest art work in a perfect display setting.

All I can say is wow. Wow. Wow. I told Michael, since he's going to turn eleven next month, that after we finish this book, we need to read it again in a few more years, when he's a teenager (but by no means is it too early to read the book now, I mean WOW), and he agreed so enthusiastically.

I'm grateful for men who challenge boys now, in their youth, to learn the ways of God and learn now to start making the decisions that will honor God. Then, when they are older, they will be used to making the right decisions. I'm grateful for those who are mentoring boys and girls, young men and young women wherever they are, to draw closer to Christ and love Him more.

4 comments:

David said...

Yes. Through His great providences, the Lord primed me and then sent me a mentor when I was 15 years old and the lessons and experiences of that person has influenced me to this day. If it hadn't been for his Christian training I would be lost in a sea of atheism and confusion. We need more mentors, especially Christian mentors, for our youth, and especially our male youths, especially in these last days.

Trailady said...

That is really neat, Sharon!

I am enjoying watching my son grow to be a Godly-minded person. His heart really wants to do the honorable thing, although his courage doesn't always measure up. He is a work in progress and I'm so proud of him and we have bonded a lot this year. :o)

This is the reward for our labors with our children...

Roseuvsharon said...

God is good to His children, providing the mentors and guidance they need. Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Never is it more needed than today! So many boys grow up without Godly mentors to learn from. May all Christian men rise up to the challenge of taking a young man under their wing and bestowing Godly masculinity upon them. Thanks for this story!