Friday, October 27, 2006

Warped Sense of Beauty

My husband found a link to this cool movie made by Dove: http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/home_films_evolution_v2.swf

Please check out this movie. It's only a couple of minutes long, and explains very easily why our perception of beauty is so warped.

Basically, the movie shows a woman, plain, and then the whole process of "making her over" in fast frame. It also inlcudes the computer enhancements. Yes, computer enhancements after this woman has been all made over, it's still not enough to satisfy the beauty craving Hollywood has built in us.

So what constitutes true beauty to you? What have you done lately to let people know they are beautiful in your life, whether or not their face appears on a billboard?

I was just home from the hospital after Greta was born. It had been a stressful time. My father was dying of cancer and I desperately wanted to see him. Then a very beautiful thing happened. The ladies of my church at that time all got together and planned help for me. Each day was assigned to a different woman, for one week. They came and cleaned my house, made lunch for us and ate with us, helping with the older children, then they cleaned up again and left us with a dish for supper. One woman even did all my laundry. Another woman stayed for hours in the afternoon playing with the older children so I could get some undisturbed rest. Thanks to these ladies, I recovered quickly from childbirth and was able to travel to see my Dad before he died.

That is my picture of beautiful women.

3 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Hi Rose, nice post.

Trailady said...

"Pretty is as pretty does."

I'm wild about the Dove campaign. It's completely unrealistic to try and look like airbrushed stick-figures. I'm a REAL woman and I'm not ashamed of it. I wear a size 10 and I have curves. There is NO such thing as a "perfect body". Every day that I can get out of bed and go workout, I am thankful for what I have...
Beauty goes far beyond what the eye can see.

Roseuvsharon said...

Gabrielle and Trailady,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes, we ladies need to get the word out. Beauty is as beauty does.

Marilyn Monroe was one of the "most beautiful women" in the world in her prime, and she was a size 14! But her life was full of pain and sorrow, betrayals and deceptions.

I'm for the Dove campaign as well. But I'm even more for Jesus' campaign, where He promises to make us a new creature.