Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Real Man

Years ago, there was an opportunity to preach a sermon on Father's Day weekend at our church in New Mexico. I volunteered. Unbelievably, even though I'm a woman, the pastor said, sure.

So I got up and preached a sermon about God's love for people shown through godly men. I wore an illustration, a dress my father had gotten for me when I was 16 years old. A very expensive dress, but one he knew would last a long time and I would enjoy with great comfort, and I did. My dad knew the value of quality, and tried to instill that into his extra thrifty daughter.

But that day, I also preached about God's command to comfort the widow and the orphan. I mentioned that I had a sister, a single mother, and I prayed that one day there would be a godly man come into her life and the life of her daughter.

That's been many years ago, and she is still single, but God has brought godly men into her life as father figures, especially after our own father died 3 years ago. God does answer prayers!

Recently, another godly man has been there to help her with advice when she needed it. I'm just rejoicing and praising the Lord for His providence.

Men, you are needed. There are many areas where your strength and dependence on God are in high demand. The world needs godly men. Don't be shy. Stand up and show God's love to those around you.

3 comments:

David said...

Amen! from my neck of the woods. I think when the misconception about love is removed, men will love, and they will love it! Human beings were made to love and be loved, man or woman. But the love that is divine needs to be defined. Its not just mercy. True love is mercy and justice blended perfectly and equally. If more men understood this they would see the true greatness in loving. Many women need to understand this also. Many women are the reason men don't understand what true love is. They want mostly mercy and men see that as a pity party. If SDAs would learn what true love is, we would be more alive as a denomination and we would also see the love in EGW and all her hard to accept Testimonies. They would also see the love pouring out of the Old Testament. Our church's back door would stop revolving and we would be getting ready for the Latter Rain.

What do you think, Sharon?

Roseuvsharon said...

I'd love to stop that revolving back door!

God has not given us a spirit of fear but of love and power and of a sound mind. Perfect love casts out all fear. Then there's the love chapter of 1 Corinthians 13. Seems to me that we don't have much excuse for not loving fully the way God intended us to, unless we are just plain selfish.

It's a lot easier to judge a single mother, than to step and up love her and her child. It's a lot easier to judge than to love.

Seems that Jesus had comments on that as well. Judge not lest you be judged.

Trailady said...

Godly men are afraid and I think it's because when a man takes a strong stand these days, he's likely to be beat down verbally by a bunch of angry women. ha ha ha

Seriously though, men have a tough role to fill. Be sensitive, yet strong. Be a bold leader, yet be a humble servant. That's a TALL order.

My final thought is GOOD FOR YOU! I tell my lady friends who are gifted speakers, "YOU GO GIRLS!" Why wait for a church to ordain you- men and women are ordained by God to share the Gospel. Official credentials are not needed from the church. I let them debate about it all they want- they may never reach a decision. In the meantime, we can be testifying and sharing what Jesus means to us. :o)