Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tribute to Alexander Borodin, by a three year old

I have arrived!

In one brief moment before supper last night, I realized what had been accomplished. The minds of my young children were totally influenced to appreciate....classical Russian music!

Everyone loves Sabre Dance, so that doesn't count, however it is indeed one of Greta's favorites which she often requests. My thanks to Aram Khatchaturian.

However, last night I achieved the pinnacle of musical influence over my children. Greta and Matthew are my little songbirds. They sing, they hum, they da da da da da and whatever else they can do to vocalize music. It seems at times that the world, and my home, would be deathly silent were it not for their musical offerings.

As we were seating the children for supper, Greta launched into one of her hums that turns in to a da da da da recitation of a song that she has heard that tickles her fancy. And what was that great offering of musical genius? Twas not Bob the Builder, although they do like that song and will also hum it at times. Twas not any of the numerous Christmas pieces I'd been playing as of late, for which her father thanks her. It was none other than one of the Polovetsian Dances from "Prince Igor" by Alexander Borodin! Yes, the pinnacle of musical influence over a three year old (and consequently her nearly 5 year old brother as they take turns copying each other) has been achieved.

So, to the vast repertoire of musical renderings offered by Matthew and Greta such as Veggie Tales, Sabbath School songs, Bob the Builder, Revive Us Lord, and bluegrass, we now add Classical Russian music. Alas it is a beautiful day!

2 comments:

joy said...

You are so blessed to be surrounded by your children's angelic voices, singing and humming. I'm sure it makes home life so enjoyable. I love that bluegrass is part of their repertoire!

Roseuvsharon said...

"Paul and Peter Walked" is one of their all time favorite blue grass songs, as well as "Down to the River to Pray."