Saturday, September 9, 2006

Matthew's Hurricane

Matthew has a cowlick. It is unmistakable. It's also adorable, right now. Who knows what it will be for him when he's a teenager.

I remember when we buzzed his hair last summer. The cowlick was even more pronounced. This was during Hurricane season, and before Katrina. Someone at church came up and said, "Matthew, you have a little hurricane on your head." Sure enough, with his hair buzzed, that cowlick did look like a little hurricane in his hair.

For some reason, Matthew has been fascinated with hurricanes ever since. Maybe because we buzz his hair during the summers and he is reminded of his own little hair hurricane.

The latest with Matthew and hurricanes was an experience Karl had. We've taught the children how to say "I love you" in sign language. Most people know this symbol. Using your right hand, you have your thumb, pointer finger and pinkie finger extended, and the others folded.

In our family, we sometimes make the sign and then make our fingers "blink." It's our way of making a neon I love you sign. Sometimes we wave with the hand as well, saying it's a wave of I love you. Well, Matthew took it a step further. He made the I love you sign and was making it in a circle. Karl asked him what it was, and Matthew said, it was a hurricane of love.

God's Word says that children are a treasure from the Lord. In moments like this, I have no doubt (it's the baby powder spills all over the bedroom that make me waiver). I do rejoice in my children, and thank God for the privilege of raising them.

I think God planted something special in all children. Their great capacity for loving is indeed a treasure!

5 comments:

David said...

That was beautiful. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings, Thou hast perfected praise. A huricane of love. Now that's some powerful lovin'! I want to see more of that! I'm going to share that idea with people. That's good! I think that might start a revolution.

David said...

Tell Matthew he might have started a revolution!

Trailady said...

That is really a cute story. I can just picture him waving like that.

Yes, it is these precious moments that carry us through the more challenging times with our children. My oldest had a meltdown today over Math. It takes a lot of patience to get her through these dramatic episodes, but then she'll send me an e-mail thanking me for being a good Mom and it just melts me!

They truly are a treasure!!

Unknown said...

I totally agree with David. Wow, out of the mouth of babes God teaches us some of the greatest lessons.

Your training is paying off, Sharon!

The SSP said...

What a cute cute story! I love that! Kids are so precious - the way their minds work. What an awesome gift children are. Thanks for sharing.

Doreen