Friday, September 1, 2006

Compounding

The latest detour in our journey with our oldest son's health is chelation. Michael's doctor has thoroughly tested him and we have worked with diet/allergies for a while. The next step is removing the mercury he was poisoned with during childhood vaccinations. Now, not everyone gets 4 shots in one day, but Michael did, and at the time, we didn't know any better. We've learned a lot since then about speaking up and researching for ourselves when it comes to health.

Michael still has a problem with swallowing pills, so we have to use a medicated lotion for the chelation process. This is something that has to be "compounded." This is not something that is kept in stock as a lotion. Only the chemicals are kept in stock, to be compounded when a prescription comes up needing it.

Michael's doctor called in the prescription to some place in New Jersey. I called them to work out the money details. All they wanted was my credit card number, and they weren't too free with information from their end, so I said no thank you and called around. Turns out our local pharmacy in our town has started compounding. Lately, they've been marketing their compounded bio-identical hormones. So, I thought I would give it a try.

Sure enough, they were friendly, answered all my questions, and didn't ask for my credit card until I was satisfied with the answers. Plus, they gave me a better price than the place in New Jersey and I saved the shipping costs!

I was reading an article lately about how more pharmacies are starting to put compounding areas back in their facilities. It seems that more and more people are becoming aware of the need to go back to the old ways of doing things. Another article in another magazine was touting the latest in veterinary news: doctors making house calls. Seems they've figured out that most of the felines and canines do much better when they are in their own environment.

It seems that every where I look, the "old, outdated, non efficient and certainly not politcally correct" ways of doing things are coming back and holding their own. People are getting tired, perhaps, of the computerized voices and no personal touch in anything these days, and they want things the way they used to be, people helping people right in their own communities.

It reminds me, however, of something very interesting I learned a few years ago. We went to a meeting where leaders of our area church district were talking about evangelism. They showed on a chart what had the best effect for leading people to Jesus and what had the least effect. They also showed what church members are more willing to do, and what they are least willing to do for evangelism.

It was very interesting that television and radio were the least effective witnessing tools, yet they were the ones the church members were the most willing to do. The most effective forms of evangelism were one on one Bible studies and other personal efforts. These, of course, were the things that church members were the least willing to do. Our society seems to be crying out for the "personal touch."

I hope God can use me to touch a life, because I know He has used many of you to touch mine.

5 comments:

Fallen Angel said...

I know I said I would never comment here again, but I feel compelled to. You left a small comment on my husbands blog. The fact that you are even kind, and ope to him touches me so much. There is alot going on with me right now. I always try to put the most important things in life in perspective. And right now, its all I can do. Thank you for being kind, even when I wasn't. Its not your words on your blog, or any blog, the show me Jesus character. Its your actions right now. Just wanted to say sorry again, more for me than anything else. And I hope you and your family are well. I wish things were different and we could be friends. True friends are a rare and precious find.

Fallen Angel said...

Its funny, I didn't even read your post before I left my comment. I just got done reading it.

Believe it or not, you touched my life. In a good way.

I'm sorry my touch to you wasn't so gentle.

I'm sorry. And thank you.

Kev said...

it is so hard sometimes because sitting back is the easiest thing to do. but i know that to have a personal relationship with God, I have to get personally involved in the work.

Trailady said...

Everything has become cold and sterile. ATM's, gas pumps that take a card, etc. We interact with flesh and blood less and less. I agree with your premise here and I hope that things will turn around. We live in a sterile society and wonder why we feel so disconnected and obsolete.

Yes, most people enjoy relying on major evangelists and media outlets for outreach, but it's normal, everyday people who will receive the latter rain.

Marcel said...

Ok, major warm fuzzy action going on here. I actually said "AMEN!" outloud. :) Sharon, you've touched many lives, I'm sure. Some you will never know about until you reach heaven and get tapped on the shoulder by a stranger who will say, "You don't remember me, but you helped me see Jesus in you, and I want to thank you for being a faithful servant."