Friday, September 8, 2006

Beware of the Yeast

I couldn't believe it. I was laughing because it was just too funny. Of all the things to win a blue ribbon and a special prize on top of it. It's just too funny!

This week is our local county fair. I entered 6 different baked goods, including dinner rolls. When I was making the rolls, following the directions of course, I had to set the yeast in a separate container and then start on the rest of the bread. I got the bread all kneaded, covered and set to rise, when I realized, I had forgotten to put in the yeast!

This was too much. I was also baking three types of pudding cookies and banana bread and cornbread and there just wasn't time for silly mistakes like this! At this point, I didn't care about ribbons, I just wanted the dinner rolls to turn out because I didn't want to waste the ingredients. So I worked the yeast into the dough and worked it and worked it, and prayed.

There was judging all morning and afternoon yesterday. Then, later in the afternoon I went to get our concession stand open that is a fundraiser activity for my son's 4H group. The official entries for the fair only need three pieces on a plate. So the rest of my baked goods went to the concession stand to help the kids. After working in the booth and cleaning up and tallying the profits and so forth, I finally had a chance to go see some of my entries.

I had heard that I got 4 blue ribbons and 2 red ribbons, and I just knew it was the dinner rolls that got a red ribbon (surprised they didn't throw them out), but there were the dinner rolls, set out on top with a line of other special prize winners. I couldn't believe it. I still chuckle when I think about it.

There is this verse in the Bible where Jesus says beware of the leaven (yeast) of the pharisees. I needed to beware of forgetting my yeast when I was baking! Yet just a simple thing like that, and the Lord answered prayers about making the dinner rolls still be edible so that food wouldn't be wasted. God is good. I'm glad He has time for the little things of life.

1 comment:

David said...

There was also the parable of the woman who hid 3 measures of leaven in the bread and it made it to every part of the loaf! Sharon, you are a living parable.