Monday, May 29, 2006

4H, Gravestones and Flags

Last Wednesday, we got a notice from our 4H leader that there was an opportunity for a community service project. The project was to assist in putting American flags on all of the graves of veterans in one of the local cemetaries.

Matthew's job was to remove/carry the old flags from last year, if they were still there. Michael carried the new flags and put them in as best he could. I carried the list of gravestones we were supposed to find and checked them off when we were done.

Boy was it hot outside! The 4H leader brought a cooler full of iced water bottles, and that helped. Breezes came occasionally. But all three of us found ourselves fascinated by the whole process, and so glad that we had participated.

We tried to look at the dates and estimate how old these brave men were when Pearl Harbor was bombed. On our lists, some were notated as to whether they were World War I or II veterans. It was amazing. Some of the veterans were just 16 years old when Pearl Harbor was bombed. I've no idea if they pretended they were older to enlist as some did, or if they got in on the tail end of the war once they turned 18.

Some men had just missed World War I and were what some might call getting on the older side when America became involved in the second war.

Another special moment was realizing that there were other groups as well, VFW and so forth that were going around and doing the same thing at graveyards and cemetaries all over the country. I wondered if my Dad was on someone's list in Oklahoma, to make sure his grave had a flag for Memorial Day. I'm glad there are many people who care to make sure that we remember what Memorial Day is all about.

If I should die before Jesus comes again, I pray that God's special memorial marker will be at my grave, so that I will be one of the dead in Christ who will rise first when He comes in the clouds of glory!

Sharon Leukert

No comments: