Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Spiderman

Boys will be boys, right? Even four year old boys? We have to realize that kids have to experience things for themselves as if they were the first person to ever do it, and we have to be excited for them. But I'm finding myself becoming less and less excited about Spiderman.

It seems that my four year old son, who saw the Spiderman movie once at someone else's house (it would not have been my choice for him), has been greatly impacted by what he saw. He's often saying something about what Spiderman can do.

The more I think about it, the more I don't like it. I'm not trying to be a bah humbug kind of person here, but I don't think it's something I want my four year old immitating or glorifying.

It seems to me that our society wants to do away with God. The whole no prayer in schools and all of that stuff is just scratching at the surface. What's more important is what happens in our own homes. So homes all across America are trying to do away with God.

But we are still human. We still crave to see "good" triumph over "evil." We still have a God shaped hole in our hearts and we want to fill it with something. So, if you get rid of the one true Creator God in your life, who is all powerful, all merciful, all justice and all knowing.....then you want something a little larger than yourself to fill that void in your life.

So, man pretends that the creator doesn't exist, and then man creates his own imaginary hero. Plug in any character here, not just Spiderman. Let's see, the Incredibles, Fantastic Four, Superman, Captain Planet, the Incredible Hulk, Batman, fairy godmothers and the list goes on and on and on.

We modern civilized peoples often look down our noses at more primitive cultures that make and then worship idols. Seems we have been too quick to judge. As earlier mentioned, we make our own heroes for our children to mimic and look up to.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. So, I want my child to go around the house saying what Jesus did do, for real, instead of what man pretends a made up superhero can do.

Now I need to get busy and make sure my children are learning all the beautiful and wonderful things that Jesus did when He actually walked this earth. Already, one of Matthew's favorite stories is about Jesus and the Storm. He needs to know that the God we serve has done amazing things. The God we serve continues to do amazing things. The God we serve is worthy to be honored and glorified!

9 comments:

Trailady said...

Amen, God IS worthy to be praised. There are certain things that I just don't want my kids to have in their minds yet. There were some very ugly images on Spiderman. So I agree with you. I don't mind my children having heroes though and I think there's a difference between a hero and an idol. Helen Keller is a hero of mine, but so is the fictional character Anne of Green Gables. Often fictional characters are used to demonstrate real values. Jesus is definitely greater than Superman, etc.

Stella Corpse said...

I think you need to read some Spider-Man comics. Spider-Man isn't there to replace any God or religious idols. That's just ridiculous.

Peter Parker (aka Spider-Man) is always going over the philisophical quote that his uncle once told him "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility". I think that is a pretty wise quote to know.

Wait. Didn't Jesus have great power? I think he did. And he took responsibility for everyone and "died for our sins".

Just remember, when it comes to comics the industry is mainly owned by Jewish and Catholic folks. But, in reality, comics are just to be taken as entertainment...like cartoons, novels, video games, and board games.

On the bright side, your kid likes Spider-Man. He could've picked a super villian to idolize, but he picked a superhero instead. That's a good thing.

You just have to look at what comics offer. X-Men offers tolerence to race, religion, politics, etc. Spider-Man encourages responsibility for actions. Superman encourages people to be the best that they can be since he's the ultimate boy scout.

Roseuvsharon said...

Cars aren't there to replace God or any religious idols. Neither are money, clothes, vacations or any fill in the blank thing (or person).

We humans have a way of making an idol out of anything. Television isn't bad, it is how it is used. Food isn't bad, it is how it is used.

The responsibility lands on us. London, you are right about not blaming comics and so forth for the world's problems, but we still need the reminder that each of us can make an idol out of anything, when we should be reserving our worship and awe for the Lord of the Universe.

In fact, I've even seen people make an idol out of other people! Again, it's personal responsibility.

Marcel said...

Does your son have Spiderman posters, comics, pajamas, lunchboxes, coloring books, costume, videos/DVD's and does he watch Spiderman shows faithfully? I say this with no qualifications whatsoever as a parent, but I venture to guess parents are the real enablers of little idolaters. I'd be curious to know whether this applies to your son's "little friend" who he watched Spiderman with (did I just end a sentence with a preposition???).

Roseuvsharon said...

Good questions. The answer is, hand me downs. Yep. A pair of hand me down pajamas. That's about it. I can't think of anything else "spiderman" my son has. You've hit on a good principle there, by beholding we become changed. Yes, if I had a house full of spiderman stuff, I wouldn't have to look far to see how my son was being so captivated and all encompassed with spiderman. But no, my very impressionable son saw the movie once, has one pair of hand me down spiderman pajamas, and that's it. Maybe we'll have to see to it that the spiderman pajamas don't get worn very often.

Deb said...

Sharon,

I can appreciate your concern about Matthew thinking more of Spiderman than of the gift God gave us. However let us face it...Spiderman can shoot webbing out of his hand, he wears a cool outfit, and if I remember right he can leap over tall buildings with a single bound...oh wait that is Superman.

None the less I think he's prolly just likes to emulate the cool stuff that Spiderman does. I know i've wanted to shoot spider webs and I certianly have wanted to fly! In fact i tried to fly...let us just say that didn't turn out as well as i'd hoped and i got a nice cast out of the venture.

Jesus while here on earth gave us a great gift...one we are eternally grateful for...literally. He didnt shoot spider webs or fly or any of the fun things that your son is modeling.

Our picture of what Christ was like here on earth isn't fun. He was hated where ever He went...always had people out to get Him and ulitmately He got to have nails driven into His hands and feet then hang on a cross with a crown of thorns on His head....all alone and die....for us...a true hero it's true but i wouldn't like my child to mimic that in their play.

The unspeakable kind of gift that Christ gave us should shape our children's thoughts...and thereby...their play...but play itself is for imagination and fun and motor coordination and social skills etc.

Perhaps this new phase of Spiderman everything is a good teaching time...to teach/remind him that Spiderman is fiction and Christ and what He gave us is not.

Roseuvsharon said...

Very well said Deb. Very well said.

I suppose the thing that bothered me so much is he has had so little exposure, yet it had become so all encompassing for him.

Perhaps many of us don't realize how much a "little" can do.

Marcel said...

Sharon,

Sorry to pimp a good book at the expense of your most valued topic, but have you read Wild at Heart? It helps to explain the creator-designed behavior behind every little boy's quest for adventure and being the hero (it may also help explain your husband!) Check it out. :)

Roseuvsharon said...

Marcel,

Took a look at the book you mentioned. Looks pretty cool. Reminds me of some of the stuff I've been reading in Sex Roles in the Christian Family. Yes, men were created to be adventurous and driven, but they were also created to use that passion and drive in a way that glorified God and edified humanity. I'll be definitely looking more into Wild at Heart. Thanks for mentioning it.