Sunday, June 4, 2006

Blue Ribbon Forestry



Wow! Michael participated in a 4H competition on forestry and came in 1st place in his division. Wow! I think he was more surprised than anyone else. In the forestry competition, they learn to identify trees, measure the diameter of the tree at chest height, and then learn how to "scale" the tree using a forestry scale stick to determine how many 16 foot logs of lumber can be made out of the tree.

So why is this important? Well, for me, it goes back to Genesis, when God tells Adam and Eve to take care of the garden. Yes, we use trees to build houses and so forth. Yes, we have to check trees to make sure they are still healthy and do not cause a potential debris hazard, such as on highways. But we don't have to cut down every single tree. Trees help with the environment, with ecosystems and show God's beauty in nature. I'm glad that Michael is learning which trees can be cut and which ones need to be left alone to grow and so forth.

I'm looking forward to heaven and the new Earth when all will be restored like it was in the garden of Eden. Until then, I'm glad my children are learning how to take care of trees that God created.

2 comments:

Trailady said...

Hey there! I LOVE everything about trees!! Always have. I like items made of wood. It saddens me to see such large portions of timber destroyed. It really irks me when the destruction is caused simply because some bonehead threw a cig out the car window.

David said...

Sharon, speaking of the beauty of trees. I travelled up the Shenandoah Valley today. Just south of New Market, Virginia, there was a nice mountain off to my right, wooded from top to bottom. All wooded, except for one spot that had been cleared and huge letters set up that must have been 40 feet all, advertising "ENDLESS CAVERNS". I realize people have the right to do what they want with their own property, but that advertisement spoiled the whole view of that otherwise beautiful mountain.