Monday, May 7, 2007

Rite of Passage

I recently received this from my friend Gene in Oklahoma. Being of Cherokee ancestry myself, I found it very interesting. A lot of my heritage is lost to me because my ancestors opted not to put themselves on the Dawes Rolls and chose to merge into society. When it comes to my heritage as a daughter of God, nothing is lost. God has given me many stories from the past to help me as I journey with Him.
Enjoy!


"A friend recently passed on to us this legend of the Cherokee Indian
youth's rite of passage.
His dad took him into the forest, blindfolded him, and left him alone. He
was required to sit on a stump the whole night.and not take off the
blindfold until a ray of sun shone through it. He was all by himself. He
could not cry out for help to anyone. Once he survived the night, he would
be a MAN. The boy was terrified and could hear all kinds of noise. Beasts
were all around him. Maybe even some human would hurt him. The wind blew
the grass and earth and it shook his stump. But he sat stoically. Never
removing the blindfold. It was the only way he could be a man. Finally,
after a horrific night. the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold. It
was then that he saw his father sitting on the stump next to him - at watch
the entire night.
We are never alone. Even when we do not know it, our Father is beside us,
protecting us. He has called us to face our dark nights - not running from
them looking only for sunshine and flowers. He knows that the dark nights
reveal our fears and give us the opportunity to face and overcome them.
However, our Father is not the One who has blindfolded us. An enemy has.
Satan blindfolds us with misconceptions and lying thoughts about our
Heavenly Father and he tells us that we cannot cry out for help.
Are you passing through a dark night? Do health issues, marital problems,
family discord, financial difficulties, or perhaps social challenges
threaten to overwhelm you? Do you feel alone? Our heavenly Father removes
blindfolds. (Psalm 146:8) He wants us to know He is right there with us. He
urges us to call upon Him and promises to answer us. (Jeremiah 33:3). He
offers to hold our hand and help us. (Isaiah 41:13) He has promised, "I
will never leave you, nor forsake you." Therefore we can confidently say,
"My Father is my helper, and I will not fear what any beast of the night can
do to me." (Hebrews 13:5, 6 paraphrased.)
What misconception from your history blindfolds you to the presence of your
Father? What lying thought keeps you from crying out to Him and listening
for His answer? What keeps you from taking His hand and walking through
your night one step at a time?
He is there for you! "

4 comments:

Deb said...

What a great rite of passage...maybe it's just because I am pregnant but that story made my heart leap. Thanks Sharon

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

That was a very special analogy that put a smile on my face!

The SSP said...

I LOVED this - may I steal it to use for a children's story one Sabbath?

Roseuvsharon said...

Glad you all enjoyed it. I always love the stuff my friend Gene sends my way.

Steve, go right ahead and use the story. Be my guest!