Saturday, May 12, 2007

No More Somedays!

This is actually Sharon's husband. She gave me permission to post here, since my two blogs have not seen any new posts from me a LONG time. And there weren't that many visitors while I was anyway. I thought ya'll might get some enjoyment from this.
_____________________________________________________________________

As a family, the past year has seen us making MANY more trips to Clinton – a town about 30 minutes south of here. We’ve begun attending a church there (usually 2 or more trips a week) and we are members of the community band in that county. Our rehearsals take us there at least twice a month. Then, we’ve had a number of other trips that have taken us that direction as well.

About a year ago, construction began on a house about half-way between here and there. It was beautiful on the outside – all wood. It appeared to be cedar. Lovely! Once it was built, in front of it sprang up a very beautiful FOR SALE sign. Now, our finances are nowhere near what they need to be to begin purchasing our own home, but it sure is nice to think about. So I thought, “Hey, just for fun – or perhaps just to fantasize – someday I’m going to stop and take a look at that house.”

Well, the first trip down, we left a bit late. The next time it was dark and we couldn’t see anything. The next time, we had another appointment so we had to be in Clinton early. The next time…well you see the pattern. Someday, someday, someday!

Then one time when I was headed to Hot Springs, AR to work on a low-power radio station there, I passed it one more time and again thought, “Well, I’m late right now, but someday, I’ll stop.” And then it hit me (at this point you’re probably thinking, WELL DUH!!).

SOMEDAY had not accomplished anything, and never will. It was then that I realized that far too much in my life has been living in the House of Someday. While the house may be beautiful on the outside, the inside is empty. When you live you life in SOMEDAY it too is empty. There may be areas that are somewhat pleasant, but look inside and they are as empty as that house. That beautiful house with reddish wood outside and lighter – I think pine – inside, sits just a short way from Highway 65, the main road from Little Rock, AR to Branson, MO. To me, that road is TODAY and, no matter which way you go, leads to TOMORROW.

I guess that I am just to the point where I’m tired of living in the empty House of SOMEDAY and am ready to get on with life. No more, “Someday I’ll get more involved in the community.” “Someday I’ll follow God fully and go back to school to do what He has truly called me to do.” “Someday I’ll arrange my schedule so I can spend more time with my wife and children.” “Someday I’ll really begin to get back in shape physically.” “Someday I’ll truly turn my back on the things of this world and commit my life 100% to Jesus.” “Someday…”

Now, I will admit that some of the “somedays” are beyond my control at this time and, by necessity will be left in that category. Such as, “Someday I’ll go bungee jumping.” “Someday I’ll go skydiving.” “Someday I’ll learn how to scuba dive.” What I’ve discovered, and you may have too, is that, without actively fighting against it, more and more things keep getting moved to that House of SOMEDAY. The problem is that, like that house that is so close to the highway; it’s just sitting there while life passes by.

So, as you can see from the pictures posted, I made a plan, I arranged my schedule, we left for band practice early and I stopped to look at the house! That’s one SOMEDAY off the list. The first of many, many, many. Life’s just too exciting to live in the emptiness of SOMEDAY. Are you ready to move????

1 comment:

Trailady said...

Good for you! Hope you get the house of your dreams and are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy it for many years.