Saturday, May 17, 2008

Too Many Rocks

You haven't heard from me for a little while because we've been very busy with a two week series we did here at our church recently. The series was called What Did Jesus Do? So many people say what would Jesus do that we decided it was time to look at what He actually did to give us some guidelines.

I was doing a children's program on the same topics. The kids were great! On the night that we talked about what Jesus did - bearing our sins, I gave the children a rock. Actually, it started with a question - "How many of you have every disobeyed your parents?" Bless those children, they were so honest and all raised their hands. Funny, they weren't ashamed to admit their mistakes like adults often are. So, each child who raised their hand got a rock. Next I asked about hitting a brother or sister or telling a lie.

At first, the kids thought it was fun, until the rocks kept coming. Finally one of the children began to complain that they couldn't hold any more rock. They asked if the rocks could go somewhere else. I explained to the children that our sins have to go somewhere, but they can't just be thrown out. On the floor nearby, we had an area taped off with masking tape in the shape of a cross. I told the children the only other place they could put their rocks was on the cross. Some of the big kids got all their rocks in one trip, some of the littler ones had to take more than one trip, just like many of us find ourselves going back again to the cross asking for forgiveness.

The end of the program was the best, because I asked how many of the kids wanted to tell Jesus they were sorry for their sins and let Him take them away. Nearly every child raised their hand. Wow!

Though it was an incredible blessing to be with the children, it was also very exhausting as I was still going to work everyday as well and trying to come home and feed the family and get to the program. God answered many prayers though, including making sure that I got home on time each night. There have been times when I didn't get home until 7pm, even though I get off at 5pm. Such is the situation with medical work though. So, it was a tremendous blessing that each evening, I had no problems getting home on time and to the programs. God is good!

1 comment:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Hi. haven't been here in a while. How are you?