Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Black Beauty

We watched a movie recently, Black Beauty. Through the story of this horse, you can learn many lessons. I like (is like really the correct word in this situation?) the line about how much pain the horses go through by learning to pull a cab with their heads high - all for the sake of fashion. It seems we humans aren't content to make ourselves miserable for the sake of fashion, we extend it to animals as well. I could go on about dog breeding and various other things about animals - for the sake of fashion - but I won't.

Near the end of the movie, when the emaciated horse is desperately trying to neigh and whinnie to get the attention of his former stable boy, Joe, I felt a lump in my throat. The final moments of the movie are with the horse in recuperation, with a promise that he'll never be sold again. I can be emotional at times, but what I didn't expect was 6 year old Matthew to come climbing into my lap after the movie was over, sniffling. Eventually, as he tried to get comfortable, he broke into full sobbing. His question to me was why would people be so mean to a horse?

I talked to Matthew about selfishness and greed. I explained that it wasn't uncommon at the time represented in that movie for owners to try to get the most they could out of their animal for the least effort and expense. I think Matthew was most struck by the skin and bones Ginger, barely able to function, shortly followed by her body being taken out. Seeing Black Beauty in the same condition was probably too much for little Matthew.

A beautiful part of the whole incident was explaining to Matthew that there are people who want to make a difference and care for mistreated and abused animals. I reminded him of the time that we cared for a Great Pyrenees that friends of ours had rescued. They had been working with her for some time and we worked with her as well, to show her love and acceptance and kindness. Matthew and Tilly bonded instantly. He still remembers her fondly. The children knew from the beginning that we were only watching the dog for a few months while our friends were out of the country, but it was still hard to see her go. What made the whole experience so sweet, was knowing that we had made a difference for that dog, helping her to trust people again.

I am just so thankful that my son has a heart tender toward God's creatures. I had no idea the movie would have the impact on him that it did, but I'm glad that he knows now that animals need to be cared for lovingly.

Since people can often treat each other in a rather inhumane way. I wonder if Matthew would cry and ask - why would people be so mean to other people? Would the answers be the same - selfishness and greed?

2 comments:

Fallen Angel said...

I was wondering if you and Karl were planning on coming to our 20 year reunion this next April at Thunderbird. Nikki and I are trying to organize a get together for our class like for Saturday night somewhere near the Academy, where we can all just talk and visit and listen to music (80s of course)and eat and everything. Kim (Seney) is going to try and help me find people. We are going to start a MySpace for our class reunion and hopefully contact people that way. You might want to tell Karl that I found Kevin and wrote to him and he is planning on coming. And he is doing really well. I know that you went to college with a few of our classmates. If you know where they are it would be great if you could let me know. I will let you know when we get the Myspace done. Hopefully we can get alot of us together and it will be alot of fun. I hope you guys can come.

Anonymous said...

Hey there...how's the arm? Any better?

Yes I do seem to have a lot going on...but I'd be so bored if my life was drama free. ;)

Hard to believe little Matthew is going to start 1st grade....looks so cute in his cap an gown.

I'm at work so I have got to keep it short. I love you guys and am thinking of you. And waiting patiently (snorts) for Kristian and Aminee's little girl! I can hardly wait to buy her something!