Saturday, January 12, 2008

Was Am or Will Be?

Karl's sermon today was about where God is today in our lives. Do we see Him as the great "I was" as Gideon did when the angel first appeared to him? Gideon even asks why aren't we seeing the miracles that our fathers have always told us about? This is of course after Gideon is hiding in the winepress to thresh his wheat so the Midianites won't take it and the angel greets him and says Yo, valiant warrior! God does have a sense of humor.
Then there is the story of Mary and Martha. Their brother is dead, but Jesus could have changed that if only He had been there. Now they're talking to Him and they say yeah yeah yeah, we believe in the future. They believed in the "Great Will Be" God, not fully comprehending that Jesus, in their midst could fulfill all things at that moment.
So today, I take my husband's challenge to consider my thoughts and actions (because thoughts lead to actions) about Who God is. Do I seem God as the Great I was? The Great I will be? Well, He was awesome in the past and He will do awesome things in the future, so there's nothing wrong with that, but am I allowing Him to be the Great I AM in my life right now? God is still working miracles, we see them all around us if we'd just take the time to look. So, I'm choosing to believe in the Great I Am. God is present tense with me and I want to be a willing servant and watch the miracles happen!

3 comments:

David said...

Beautiful truth and message! Sharon, sorry for taking so long to write back. I haven't had access to the internet.

Tell Karl, I would have loved to be in the congregation when he presented that sermon. We need to hear so much more that is thoughtful, provoking, and appealing to the heart. So many sermons are "threadbare and hoary with age."

Our God is still in charge of His Advent movement, and has His representatives throughout His vast army, our army. "God is with us." (Is. 8:10).

Its so good to hear from you, Sharon, and to see your family staying strong in these last days.

Roseuvsharon said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Services at our church are being recorded and we hope to utilize technology to make things available on podcasts in the future. Who knows? Maybe I'll have a link to some podcasts here soon.

Pray for us!

Kev said...

sounds like a great sermon to me...