Sunday, December 30, 2007

Progress

My severely shy youngest son spoke up in church yesterday! It is a reason to celebrate. It was during a special program where all the children's divisions come up and share with the adults things they've been doing all year long. Matthew's teacher would ask questions about what they had been studying and he answered! I was thrilled. Normally he gets so shy he won't do a thing.

Greta also participated and both she and Matthew sang when the teacher led them in "This Little Light of Mine." Greta actually kept looking at the microphone and edging a little closer. She' s not usually shy when you pit a mic in front of her!

Matthew has a lot of musical ability, it seems to be one of the gifts God bestowed on him. My prayer is that he will be able to use his gift to honor God. Matthew's first composition (at four years of age) was pretty simple, but he played it at his recital and it was in a minor key and appropriately named "Jesus Dying on the Cross."

I've also seen a lot of progress in my oldest son, Michael as well. He's starting to come out of his shell a little and even ran for a class office at school. That totally blew me away.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my kids always have to be active in everything and always up front. Please! But when it matters most, when God has a job for them to do using the talents He gave them, it's not the time to be shy. It's the time to do for God as He has done for us. And I personally believe they don't have to be married and 21 years of age or older before God can use them. God uses willing hearts, no matter what their age.

1 comment:

David said...

Amen to that sister!

Its sad that so much in the young minds is taken for granted and passed over as unimportant, when no matter the simplicity of it, their first attempts at excellence are the foundation that must be layed or future works never happen.

I'm glad to see them beginning the efforts that will bloom into great things later on. That is, accomplishments that are great (even at their age,) and become greater (as adults judge greatness) with use and practice.