Saturday, April 28, 2007

Utter Joy

I told my husband today that he was exuding sweetness. He had been so thoughtful and wonderful. He responded, just dip me in sugar and call me a Krispy Kreme.

Did my husband present me with diamonds, flowers or romantic cards? No, it was something even better. Karl knows how much I love waterfalls. Living in the Ozarks, as you drive through mountain passes and high bluffs, it is not uncommon to see water gushing over the rocks. On our way to church today, we passed two of these waterfalls (in the winter, when it freezes, it's like you're driving through an ice pass, with huge walls of icicles on either side of you).

Knowing how much I love waterfalls, Karl rolled down my window just as we passed it, so I could hear the rushing water sound. I never asked him to do that, he just did it because he knows how much I love waterfalls.

It was little things like that all day today. It was my husband knowing me, taking the time to learn what makes my heart full of joy, and doing everything he can to help me enjoy those things.

As we continued our drive to church, other things happened as well. They seemed to be little gifts from God all along the way. Just as Karl and I enjoy doing special things for each other, based on our interests and favorite things, so God longs to do special things for us. We often find Him outdoing Himself on Sabbath.

Jesus desperately wants to send lots of little thoughtful sweet moments our way. Have you been looking for them? Jesus knows your heart. He knows the things that bring you joy, and He thrills to do special things to give you joy, especially on Sabbath.

Enjoy the special things that God wants to do for you. Spend time with your Lord and you just might begin to notice how many of these special things He's been doing all along.

2 comments:

Trailady said...

That's awesome that Karl takes time to do things that he knows will thrill you.

Is it that God gives extra special signs of His love on Sabbath, or it is that we actually have more time to notice them?

Roseuvsharon said...

I think it's both. God does give extra special blessings on Sabbath and we are also slowing down to notice the blessings more. Yep, I think it's both.