Monday, February 27, 2006

Rose of Sharon

Well, since some people asked, and since some people were offended, I thought I would change some things and explain some things. So, here goes.

My first name is indeed Sharon. No big surprise to most of you. Since some people have complained about people hiding behind "handles" and not using their real names, I thought I would change things. You will notice that now at the bottom of my posts, it will say posted by Sharon L.

So, why Roseuvsharon in the first place? Well, first it's part of my name, Sharon. Second, when I first wanted this for a sign on for an email account that I no longer use anymore, all of the roseofsharon's were taken, up to over 500 of them. I didn't want a name with a number because I hadn't come up with something more original. So, I used the phonetic sound/spelling "uv" to replace "of" and it worked.

Beyond that, the main reason I wanted the name Rose of Sharon in some form is that I wanted to let people know that I'm a follower of Christ. Sharon was the name of a fertile plain in Israel. Just as a rose has to grow and bloom, so also we need to let Christ grow and bloom in our hearts. I had a song that touched me many years ago, as I was starting all of this roseuvsharon stuff, that said when Jesus gave His life for us, He was crushed, as is a rose, and that is when the fragrance of the rose is most powerful, as the petals are being crushed. A reminder of what it took to release the "fragrance of salvation" for us.

6 comments:

Trailady said...

I thought Roseuvsharon was very clever, sweet and appropriate! Why on earth would someone be offended by you choosing that name for yourself? Honestly, some people just need to get a life!!!
Many people use surname/nickname because they've heard horror stories about sickos looking them up in the phone book (after reading their blog) and harrassing or threatening them.

kairosnow said...

i liked your explanation about the rose of sharon. good one.

David said...

Yes, like Chez says, the real love of Christ came out when He was crushed. Yet, the cross was a demonstration of something bigger, the crushing of God the Father since our sin began. We never would have known it without Christ and His cross.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I should change my comment where they ask about a rose to what you have said - !

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I should change my comment where they ask about a rose to what you have said - !

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

sharon - why didn't I think of that - duhhhh!
I wanted my blog to be Free At last and that wasn't avaialble either. I couldn't changed stuff.