Sunday, February 5, 2006

Fencing Exercise

Pride goeth before a fall. Literally. I was exercising, feeling great and enjoying some of my clothes that had gotten a little too snug before. Then I had the accident. A totally senseless accident.

There was this dog we were watching. A wonderful Great Pyrenees female named Tilly. She was a perfect nanny to the kids and we loved watching her while her owners were overseas as missionaries. But we did have to adapt a little to life with a dog. So, we created a separate front yard and backyard with my husband's genius of using as little fencing as possible.

After the owners got back and we said loving goodbyes to Tilly, we left the fencing up for a while. Then we realized it would be easier to mow and other such things if the temporary fencing we had put up were removed. Karl carefully removed the fencing and folded it up nicely (as nicely as fencing will fold) and set it carefully aside, intending to put it in the shed at a later time, as duty called and he had to go to work.

Neither of us thought much about it, as the fencing was out of the way. Then the storm blew through. Storms have a way of revealing things, including things that should have been taken care of. Things like a piece of fencing that is now lying partially on the sidewalk that all of us use. That's where my pride came in. I shouldn't have to move this piece of fencing, because it is someone else's responsibility. Each time I walked around it, I muttered to myself that Karl really needed to move that so no one would get hurt. Never once did I think to say, I could move this for him since he is so busy all the time.

So, one day it caught me. I was carrying a box to a friend's car, and couldn't see the fencing, and I tripped right on it and realized as my head snapped back that I had just done a lot of damage to my neck and spine. Sure enough, I was in pain for days, then weeks and months. No exercising. Lots of time trying to gently do neck exercises and pray for the pain to get better. Then hundreds of things happened and we were unable for me to see a chiropractor for some time. Finally, my loving sister scolded me. She reminded me that I take care of everyone else in the family and I needed to take care of myself. Finally, the appointment was made and I got some relief for my neck and back.

Why didn't I just move that piece of fencing myself? Why was I so full of pride? I'm not going to move it, that's Karl's business. Why hadn't I noticed the fencing before the storm? It could have been put away properly before it ever got into the danger area.

Perhaps I need a few more storms in my life, to show what hasn't been taken care of. To show me what things need to be fixed so no one gets hurt. Will I do it, or will I be full of pride and say it is someone else's job. I hope I have learned my lesson.

Sharon Leukert

3 comments:

Trailady said...

Pride is a stumbling block for ALL of us- so you are NOT alone! Pride stands in the way of loving service and reconciliation. Glad you were able to get some needed treatment- you certainly deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Pride is a hard one. Its sneaks in when we think were on the right track and before we know it we say or do something stupid. Been there and done that!

David said...

Thankfully, God is still working through our consequences to keep teaching us our lessons. They can be hard, can't they. He is a great, loving, but wise parent, isn't He. Thanks for your insight and your openness.