Saturday, February 2, 2008

Behold

Our memory verse for our study on Gender and Discipleship was Luke 1:38 where Mary says yes to God's plan.

I heard one commentator say that they thought Mary wasn't really a disciple. After all, it was obvious that a woman was needed to give birth, so what's the big deal. There are other women to study who were truly disciples.

Well, my thoughts are that those people have really missed the point! The answer is an Mary's own words. "Behold the handmaiden of the Lord. Let it be unto me according to your word." Let's see if we can put it in a way that is a little more understandable for 2008. "God, when you look at me, see a willing servant. Whatever your will is, that's what I'll do."

Is that not the true essence of discipleship? Sorry to disagree with the good folks at Pine Knoll, but it doesn't get any simpler than this. When was the last time you asked Jesus to look at you as a willing servant?

2 comments:

Deb said...

Sharon....This one is super tough!

In my ideal Deb is perfect mind I would say yes I am a willing servant.

Then there is the real me who knows that what God asks of us could cause me to NOT get my way.

Poor God...I can just see Him up there shaking His head at me...comming up with more lessons for me to learn.

Perhaps one day He will have refined me enough that His will is my will.

Good thing God is more patient than me!

David said...

Deb, I know what you mean. When I read the Bible heroes (when they are faithful,) I find myself saying, "I would have done like him or her." Then something happens in life that rudely reminds me that I am not nearly as faithful as they were. Oh, wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from myself?

Thanks, Sharon, I don't always agree with the SS lesson, as well. They try hard, but sometimes I think they miss the mark. We need to keep an open mind and think for ourselves. However, I really love the Sabbath School because of its unique opportunity to join together and share lessons learned from the Bible.