Thursday, October 18, 2007

Elephant Tongue

Greta loves to watch movies. One of her favorites, until the VCR broke and ate it, was Lady and the Tramp. I'm kind of glad that one is gone. I was starting to be able to recite it in my sleep.

Another of Greta's favorite "movies" is Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution II. It's actually a DVD and it is fascinating. One of the things it talks about that blows my mind is the blue whale. This creature is enormous of course, but to put it in terms that we can understand, the speaker on the DVD tells us that just the tongue of a blue whale can weigh as much as an Elephant!

Since I've learned this fact, it has caused me to ponder much about my own tongue. There have been times where my words were soft and gentle. Unfortunately, there have also been times where my words were as heavy and hard hitting as if my tongue weighed as much as an elephant.

The book of James talks about the littlest member of the body that can cause so much damage, the tongue. Since learning about the blue whale and getting a new perspective on the weight of the tongue, I'm going to ask Jesus for help that my words be soft and gentle. I don't want an elephant tongue anymore.

No comments: