Friday, June 15, 2007

Sweet 16 and Tiramisu

My husband and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary this week. It was nice to have all three children with a babysitter while Karl took me out to a carefully chosen Italian restaurant.
After our delicious dinner, the waitress asked if we were interested in dessert. Of course the answer was yes! Our options were Cannoli, Tiramisu and several flavors of Cheesecake. Obviously, the cheesecake was out for me as I'm allergic to cheese. I couldn't remember if Tiramisu had cheese of any kind in it or not, but the waitress told me for sure the Cannoli did.
Our waitress was kind enough to look up the ingredients for the Tiramisu, but she didn't know what mascarpone was. She thought it was some sort of pudding or filling. Since I have avoided cheese for 18 years now (it is much better than enduring days of intense pain and recovery), I'm not that familiar with Italian cheeses either, but that is what Mascarpone is.
I finally decided on the Tiramisu since the waitress believed it had no cheese in it. However, when she brought out Karl's strawberry cheesecake, my Tiramisu was in a bag. The waitress apologized that it was frozen and thinking it was my only cheese free option for a dessert, she gave it to me on the house, saying I could take it home and eat it after it had thawed.
Right then and there, I believed I had been spared intense pain. This morning I did take the time to look up Tiramisu on the internet and discover that indeed, Mascarpone is a cheese not just some custard type filling. I know God used a frozen dessert to spare me unnecessary hours of pain and misery.
I'm glad that over the years, God has been trying to teach me to accept the things that happen in life and look for His blessings. Had I gotten angry about the Tiramisu and demanded the restaurant take immediate actions to somehow thaw my dessert, I would have been miserable.
All things work together for good, even a frozen dessert.

No comments: