Sunday, June 24, 2007

My excuse left the building

Karl and I had a great day yesterday. There were obstacles of course, like lying in bed with a heating pad for company and praying I could eventually make it to church.

Through it all, God blessed. We visited a church we used to attend a year ago and enjoyed seeing old friends. They were having a special speaker who sang through his sermon. It was incredible. We were so blessed.

Karl made sure I had plenty of time to rest yesterday afternoon and he also got in some good wrestle time with the kids. I love the sounds of laughter on a Sabbath afternoon and so does my mom. I had a great phone call with both my sister and my mom yesterday and they could hear the laughter and fun and I could almost sense their smiles over the phone.

But last night, we caught the end of a program on tv. It was a sermon presented by David Ring of His Word Alive. Brother David's message was inspiring and stripped us of any excuses we have about getting out and serving the Lord.

I have said enough, I'm not going to try anymore when I was put down because of my age or that I was a woman.

Brother David explained how difficult it is for him to eat, since he has Cerebral Palsy. He explained that his hand shakes that often times there is no food on the fork by the time it gets to his mouth. He asked the audience where he would be if he threw down his fork and said that's it. I give up! Brother David then reminded us that it's not how many times you fall down, but how many times you get up.

Karl and I both sat there in disbelief at first. If this man can endure constant pain from his disease and constant frustration over his limitations and still reach people with the love of God, no matter how many times he falls in the process of trying, then what is our excuse? As Brother David put it in his message, your excuse just left the building.

People may continue to judge me because I'm female and I'm only 35. So be it. When God puts something on my heart, I'll keep serving Him, no matter how many times I have to try again. May God help me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't visited your blog for a long time...sorry.
My 20 year old daughter has done quite a bit of ministry over the years, the first time was when she was about 5 or 6 and she was telling some older boys at the park (who were likely 7 or 8 if that counts as older) not to take the Lord's name in vain as they were playing. I think your being female and 35 is a perfect time to be doing ministry (oftentimes more ministry gets done outside the church walls than inside).
Also, If you ever read Bob Sorge, he has an AMAZING testimony of going forward in the midst of debilitating circumstances. I highly recommend his testimony and book Secrets of the Secret Place.
See oasishouse.net
Blessings to you and your family.

Roseuvsharon said...

Thanks for stopping by and for the information on Bob Sorge.

God is good!