Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Not ashamed

On this Valentine's Day, I challenge you to look up a couple of verses in the Bible. They happen to be my husband's favorite verses. Proverbs 5:18, 19.

When God touches your heart, and you know you are a recipient of His grace, are you not thrilled?

When God sends an angel to rescue or shield you in a moment of peril, do you not know His loving care over you?

When God sends the Holy Spirit to chasten you and bring you back from the path of destruction, are you not grateful for His guidance?

Of these things we are not ashamed.

However, if God has blessed you with a partner in life, a godly spouse, are you ashamed to enjoy to the fullest God's gift?

Spend some time today in God's Word, realizing that marriage is to be full of joy and wonder, then go experience it.

4 comments:

Trailady said...

Rose, I still have the cassette tape you & Karl gave us when we got married. It had a man saying a prayer for a newlywed couple. I thought it was very beautiful.

I held back early on in our marriage. After watching my parents fall apart- not once, but twice. I just assumed that as soon as Jay got bored with me he would want a divorce. Such thinking doesn't allow intimacy as God intended. Year seven in our marriage was a huge milestone. Don't know what happened, but I was suddenly able to relax more, open my heart and be more deeply intimate. I remember thinking, "How did I miss out on this all these years?!"

Good post! :o)

Kev said...

Coming up on 13 years of marriage and my wife and I wouldn't of been able to do it without the Word of God.

My parents didn't have it and they divorced after 18 years (at least 12 years of fighting).

My marriage is full of Joy... especially since that is my wife's name!

Roseuvsharon said...

Abuse is so harmful to marriages. I spoke with a woman recently who had the same struggle I did. She had been sexually abused as a child. I had been molested as a child.

Each of us had to overcome the shame, guilt, anger and so forth over what we had experienced, before we could fully enjoy all that God had in store for our marriages.

Unfortunately, for both of us, we failed to see the importance of this until after each of us was married. Neither one of us could have ever suspected how much that would affect our marriages. Praise the Lord that for my friend and I, we have been able finally to deal with the past and move on to enjoy God's blessings.

Trailady said...

Amen, Rose. Childhood sexual abuse can be very detrimental to adult relationships. That is another reason why I held back in my marriage- wasn't sure it would be safe to share that here.

Thanks for being so honest. I think it's important that we be real. That way we can pray for & support one another in the healing journey...

(I was raped at 10 yrs of age by a 19 yr old druggie. Just received word this week that he died of testicular cancer. It's downright eerie.)