Sunday, January 18, 2009

End of the Book

So I was teaching the Sabbath School class yesterday and we were talking about Spiritual Gifts. I asked the class if that was something from the days of the disciples. "That's all in the book of Acts. We don't have Spiritual Gifts anymore, right?"

Of course many in the class responded with an emphatic No! Spiritual gifts are still being used by God's people today for their intended purpose - to strengthen and build "the church" meaning wherever God's people are gathered.

But one man took it one step beyond. His comment still stops me in my thoughts and sometimes even makes me shiver. "The Book of Acts isn't a closed book. It's not finished."

The point: We are all disciples of Jesus called to spread the good news of His love to a hurting world. The Acts of the Apostles isn't finished, because God's people are still acting/doing/moving/working. More importantly, God is still acting/doing/moving/working.

What an awesome thought. The Book of Acts has final chapters still to be written. There is still work to do.

musings and cogitations

3 comments:

Shark Bait said...

Quite true that. I might just steal that quote for my blog. (One day)

<-SB><

Roseuvsharon said...

Shark Bait: I still love the shine in that older man's eyes when he talked about Acts not being a closed book. Glad you appreciated his comment.

David said...

Not a closed book--a deep thought. The early rain assumes a latter rain, which we will take part in. I appreciate your musings and cogitations.