Saturday, December 30, 2006

Christmas 1 Corinthians 13

I received this from a friend of mine, Mr. Cowden, from Oklahoma. I'm sure he won't mind my passing it on. Enjoy!

If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights, and shiny balls; but, do not show love to my family, I'm just another decorator.
If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of holiday cookies, preparing gourmet meals, and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime; but, do not show love to my family, I'm just another cook.
If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home, and give all that I have to charity; but, do not show love to my family, it profits me nothing.
If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties, and sing in the choir's cantata; but, do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point.
Love stops the cooking to hug the child. Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband. Love is kind, though harried and tired. Love doesn't envy another's home that has coordinated Christmas china and tablelinens.
Love doesn't yell at the kids to get out of the way, but is thankful they are there to be in the way. Love doesn't give only to those who are able to give in return, but rejoices in giving to those who can't.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. Video games will break, pearl necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will rust...
But giving the gift of love will endure. (The preceding is a paraphrase of the "Love" chapter - 1 Corinthians 13 - received from our friend June)
You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.

Psalm 127:3 How are we cherishing this gift/reward?

3 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Clever and thoughtful

Trailady said...

WOW- I love it!! VERY true!!!! :o)

~Happy New Year~

Sorry we missed you guys on your way through. I didn't get your e-mail until the evening before and by then I'd already planned the birthday party for Jo. I decided to leave it up to Doreen & Kristine.

Thanks for removing the GraceWood link. We'll have a new website eventually...

Roseuvsharon said...

Sorry we missed you as well!

Maybe next time.

We are grateful to have gotten home safe and somewhat still gripping our sanity.

We saw way too many accidents this holiday.