Friday, November 10, 2006

When you ask God.......

It's amazing what can happen when you ask God a question, without limits.

I have a home business that I'm ashamed to say I didn't manage well at the beginning. Mainly, I didn't start it out correctly, with God at the helm. I asked for guidance, and I didn't get the answer I wanted, so I did my own thing anyway. Since then, I've come to realize that things go much better when God is in charge.

So, the next step was to rededicate the business to God, and designate a portion of my income to Him. This is where it gets complicated. This is where my selfishness was made manifest. I was trying to decide how much of my income should be dedicated to the Lord, you know, beyond tithes. Did God want 25% of my income or more or less?

At first I felt the pious thing to do would be to start at 50%, but then I realized how much money I would be "losing." Suddenly, I thought that maybe 25% wouldn't be too bad, but even that seemed like a lot. Then, I realized how petty I was being and that I would never be able to decide for myself.

So, I gave it to God. I asked Him. Lord, how much do you want me to dedicate to you of this business income. His response was rather simple, "All of it."

I was floored, but joyful, because God had made the decision that I was too weak to make, after I had given the matter to Him. I guess that's the way it works. When you are to weak to do the right thing, surrender the situation to God, and He'll put you on the right path.

So, one of the things I had been doing wrong in my home business was something I couldn't do for myself. Now that it's God's business, I found myself being even more careful about how I handled work, and wouldn't you know it, things went better than before the business was rededicated to God. It's almost as if I'm more careful because this is God's business.

But the sad part of it is that we should be living our lives that way everyday. I should be more careful with my words, my thoughts, my actions, my attitude, my thoroughness in the things I have to do, because it's God's, not mine.

6 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Sharon, tithing is a guideline, not a law. If everything we have belongs to God, does it make sense that we first have to pay our bills - that glorfiies God, and we have to provide for our loved ones - that glorifies God, and we have to have some fun - that glorifies God too? The tithe is a guidline for how much to pay those who offer us spiritual services, i.e. pastors and counselors, who have no other means of income.

We should just make giving a normal part of our lives, but I think we automatically have the desire to give because God is at work within us to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Trailady said...

Glad you feel assured that you are doing what is best in your business now. I can't imagine why God would want ALL of your profits, but that is between you & God- you must do what you feel is right.

I think tithing is more than just how much moneys we give. I think tithing time, etc is also important, but I don't obsess over it anymore like I used to. It is more important that I know how to love God, myself & others. That is my focus right now. I give whatever tithes I am able and I know God appreciates it, but He would love me- even if I didn't pay tithe.

Interestingly enough, one of the first questions asked of us during the struggle of the last 3 yrs by church-members was whether or not we pay a faithful tithe. In fact, one wealthy couple came to our house. They had a whole load of groceries with them, but when they emerged from their vehicle, before saying anything else, they asked us if we pay regular tithes. To which I replied "well of course we pay tithe!" Then they looked relieved and lifted the hatch of their vehicle to reveal the groceries inside, but we were told that they could ONLY help us if we paid a faithful tithe.

Ridiculous! Where does the insanity come from?

Roseuvsharon said...

Right you are ladies! Tithing is a choice, something God asks of us, but He doesn't demand, because that is not His way. He doesn't force His love on us in any way. We can thank Him for that. It makes the choice to love Him all the sweeter.

I can't imagine why God would want ALL of my profits either, but I can't mistake what He said. Perhaps it is a test of my willingness to do what He asks of me.

Regardless, my life is still in His hands and I'm grateful for His love and His blessings.

David said...

Hi again, Sharon.
Tithing should be an act of worship, as the collecting of money at church is part of the worship service. But God didn't require all the sheep to be sacrificed in worship during OT days. Yet He did require the best, most sacrificial gift of the flock.

He doesn't ask for everything, He is way wiser than that. And its such a shame that tithing is given a bad name sometimes like what happened to Trailady. I'm sure it makes Jesus weep and intercede that much harder in our behalf.

David said...

Now that I read the post after the comments: Beautiful post.

Roseuvsharon said...

I suppose that I didn't make it specific enough, that I was asking God to be in charge of my business, basically I was dedicating it to Him.
My home business is not the sole source of income for our family. It is something extra I started, without God's guidance. I realized my mistake after a while, and wanted to rededicate the business to God, this time asking for His guidance.
I hope this sheds a little more light on the story.