Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Grandpa

My grandpa died last week. He was 88 years old and left a long history of love and caring as well as a strong work ethic to his many family members. Following is something I wrote to have said at the funeral. I'm greatly blessed to have had such a grandpa. My husband, Karl, was born after both of his grandfathers died. But that's how loving my grandpa was, he became a grandpa to Karl as well.

What I learned from Grandpa
By Sharon Leukert

Grandpa always took time for a hug.
Fresh strawberries tasted best out of Grandpa’s garden, especially when you picked them together.
Chores at home were boring, but digging potatoes with Grandpa was always fun.
Grandpa respected people and property and he expected you to do the same.
You’re never too old to be spanked. When Grandpa got the switch after Lora when she was a full grown up eleven years old, I learned you are never too old to be spanked.
Remodeling your house every year keeps everyone guessing as to which room is used for what in the house.
Visits were never long enough for Grandpa. He enjoyed your company for hours.
Grandpa’s house was always open for the relatives that passed by.
Grandpa could do anything, make anything and solve any problem.
Grandpa always said our visits didn’t happen often enough and we never stayed long enough.
Grandpa worked hard all his life and always shared with those in need.
There was always plenty of food at Grandpa’s table, and the best stuff came right out of his garden.
It was always evident at family gatherings that Grandpa loved God and knew the Bible well.
Grandpa had lots of love to share.

7 comments:

Trailady said...

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of this kind man. I have very few memories of either of my blood Grandpas as they were never very interested in me. However, when I married Jeremy I inherited a wonderful Grandpa who I had the privilege of knowing for 12 wonderful years. He died last year. I took it VERY hard. He is terribly missed.

Fallen Angel said...

I'm sorry about your Grampa.

Anonymous said...

Allow me to offer my sympathies. My Grandpa died last year gasping for his breath. Never smoked a day in his life, but his lungs hardened to the point where he was suffocating. I miss him a lot. They are valuable influences in our lives aren't they.

Anonymous said...

Whether you believe your grandpa is resting in the grave or rejoicing in the presence of Jesus at this time, Im sure we can agree that his troubles are over and he is at peace.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, how come you never reply to your commenters? Too busy I guess??

Roseuvsharon said...

It's true I've been a little busy lately. Nothing personal if I don't reply to the commenters. Believe it or not, sometimes I just don't have anything to say. Sometimes silence is better.

However, I agree, my Grandpa is at peace now. There's a lot more to that statement than most people realize. My grandpa was tired. Tired of many things, including dysfunctional extended families. So, finally, my Grandpa is at peace. After all he has done over the years, he deserves a rest.

Deb said...

Sharon,

i told Karl to tell you i was thinking about you and prayin' for you...but i thought i should add it here in case he didn't tell you.

Also Michael is a serious Kristian look alike...what a doll baby!

Love ya,
deb