Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I Want It! I Want It!

Tug of War is an interesting game. It becomes even more so when it is with a half asleep two year old and the "rope" you are tugging between you is her lunch plate. This isn't the first time that Greta fell asleep in her feeding table. And I'm sure it won't be the last. This time, however, her hands were resting on her plate as she slowly drifted off to sleep.

It is true that Greta is much more comfortable on the couch or in her bed than trying to sleep in her feeding table. Usually, she begs to be out and go to the couch to rest. This time, she was defending her plate. For some reason, letting go of the plate was the most horrible thing that could happen to her. So each time I tried to gently remove the plate, so I could clean up her peanut butter and honey mess and put her on the couch, she threw a horrible fit and grabbed the plate and cried out with determination "I want it! I want it!" So I would let go of the plate, and she would settle back in to her sleeping position.

After giving Greta a few chances to release the plate of her own free will, I had to take it away and clean her up. For someone who had just seconds before been snoring, she was thrashing about like a cat being put in a pool of water. It took a while to calm her down and let her know that I did want her to get her rest, but she didn't need the plate to do it. Finally, she slept comfortably on the couch, and of course, didn't want to wake up when nap time was over.

I think God must go through tug of wars like this with us as well. He can see we are really needing something. He wants to help us reach our goals, but there is something in the way. There is something we need to let go of in order to let Him help us reach our goals. Our lack of faith, or perhaps trust that God does indeed know what's best in EVERY aspect of our lives, prevents us from seeing that if the "plate" is taken away, we'll get to our goal! God, in His mercy, gives us many chances to let go on our own. Sometimes, He has to take the thing away from us and we kick and scream until we realize that the desired goal is right in front of us, thanks to God's leading.

Sharon

2 comments:

Trailady said...

Cute story & good thoughts! I want to be righteous, but tend to want my own efforts, rather than accept what Christ has to offer. Only when I let go of my "plate" can He do something better for me. :o)

Fallen Angel said...

Your days sound alot like mine. Cheyenne is 20 months old. And this is the 5th time I've done it. Wouldn't change a thing. But it can be challenging. I'm sure someday I'll wish I could go back to even the stressful moments. They are so cute though, aren't they? Greta is adorable, I saw her picture. Hope you guys got my pictures of the 3 older ones.