Thursday, February 3, 2005

How Could I Forget My Calling?

Thanks to a friend of ours, Steve Severance, Karl and I listened to an excellent tape on when and how God calls you and what He calls you to do. Please catch this - Pastors are not the only people who receive a calling from God. I hope that doesn't shock you. Many people have been "called" to do a work for God. Whether it be a teacher, doctor, attorney, housewife, factory worker, nurse, firefighter.., God can call anyone to do any job for Him. The message on this tape was very inspiring. We were blessed. My heart was broken.
I realized that I had forgotten my calling. How can you do that? How can you forget the moment when you were all by yourself, yet the Presence with you was so overpowering that you knew God was communicating with you. How could I have forgotten that? Perhaps I had fallen into the trap that only pastors get a call from God. Perhaps I was inundated with society and its pressures on women to do more and be more. I mean, what kind of person would I be if I couldn't fight world hunger, homeschool my child, be the perfect wife, save the whales, encourage everyone to vote for my political party, support my local library, spend adequate time writing lengthy letters to friends and family, keep a perfect house, have hours and hours of joyous play time with my children and the list goes on and on until you want to vomit.
That day, when I was only 14 years old, God revealed to me what my calling was. How could I have forgotten. How could I have pushed that beautiful experience aside, just because it didn't match with the standards society seems to set for me? How could I have forgetten, that on that day, God came near, and made me know what His plan was for my life. I must answer that call. No more no less. God wants me to do my best for Him, according to what He has required of me. Next time, I'll tell you what that calling was.
Sharon Leukert

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I believe you do indeed have a calling & God wants to use you! Look at all the great men & women in the Bible & you will find 2 common threads. 1) None of them felt worthy of the calling- they did not feel qualified, worthy or prepared. 2) Those who were called had to first be tested & refined in a humbling wilderness experience. Moses led sheep alone in the hills, Joseph was a slave & prisoner, David was an outlaw, Jesus Himself was an emaciated outcast in the desert. All of us search for significance- especially the stay-home moms in this world who have no salary or promotion by which to measure their worth. We are largely written off by a society who stereotypes us as nothing more than frumpy cook & cleans in Flannel & slippers. Our truest calling is to learn to love the Lord our God, ourselves & others. I did NOTHING but household chores & diaper changes for 8 long yrs. I didn't go anywhere & I didn't do anything- until I came to see that I really don't know as much as I thought I did. God is slowly but surely revealing the fullness of His Grace & of His calling for me. I must decrease, so that He can increase. My job is to rest quietly in the palm of God's hand, surrendering my pre-conceived ideas & opinions letting Him do with me what He will. You may have many natural talents & abilities- these will not be wasted. When the time is right, God will give you the mission. Until then, bloom where you are planted & wait on the Lord. He will withold no good thing from you! :o)